Followers

Thursday, August 19, 2010

One more tag for the challenge

Hello friends. I have made one more tag for the Caardvarks challenge. I am loving this Christmas stuff. It's all the fun of Christmas and winter, but it isn't the holidays yet. I can create while under no stress to be shopping, baking, decorating, or driving in the snow. Yay!

Here is my next tag. I wanted to use a house stamp, then dress it up a little to make it Christmasy.
Here are the initial supplies that I pulled out to use. I chose this particular house because I could make the roof brown to match the rest of the house. I also pulled out some Liquid Applique. This always looks like winter to me.


I inked up the stamp with black Memento ink. This works really well with markers, especially Copics. They won't bleed.

I stamped it on the tag....

and then heated it up a little to set the ink.


Then I dumped out all of my Copics and tried to decide what colors to use. I knew I wanted the house to be tan, but the rest I wasn't sure of.



I decided on these colors.


I colored it up. I paid some attention to shading a little around the door, windows, and roof. I added a little puddle of gray under the house to anchor the image.

Next I pulled out Antique Linen and Old Olive distress inks. I inked up all of the empty white space on the tag. First the Linen all over and the Olive just at the edges.




Now it looks like a cute tag, with a house on it. It needs some Christmas spirit. I pulled out this Hero Arts Christmas sayings stamp set. I decided on just simple old "merry Christmas".


Next it's time for the liquid applique. I love how if you add glitter, when it's wet, it looks just like snow.

I carefully applied the applique. I wanted it to look like it was dripping off of the roof a bit. Then I set it in my tidy tray.


Then I sprinkled on some magic and let it dry for a few minutes.



When I couldn't wait any more I heated it all up with my heat gun. Now I know that the bottle of Liquid Applique says to let it dry over night. I have done this lots of times and taught classes where we use this product as well. I find it's fine to let it dry for just a few minutes and then heat. Just don't go picking at it, or setting something on top.


Here is my snowy house. I decided to use a clear Stardust pen to add some shimmer. I colored just some small areas on the windows and at the bottom of the house where the snow is piled up. I wanted it to look frosty.

Can you see the shimmer? I love that pen.



Last I added some Christmas ribbon to the top. It's all ready to be put on a package. Just a final note. I didn't photograph this part. Since Copic markers soak through the cardstock, I added a plain white tag to the back side. I just used some tape runner to glue it on. Now I can write on the back of the tag.

I hope you enjoyed. Thanks for looking.

8 comments:

Virginia L. said...

Love your step by step tutorial!! How fabulous! I have the same set of stamps and I haven't used this one yet. Thanks for inspiring!

stampingandstitching said...

This is such a wonderful tag Jess! Thanks for the great tutorial! I've never used liquid applique but I'll have to now after seeing this!

Maureen said...

Lovely tag! That liquid applique makes great 'snow'

Nathalia Castellon said...

I simply adore all your attention to detail! This one is just as stunning as the last tag! Beautiful work Jess! :)

Anonymous said...

Very nicely done, and thanks for the step by step! I have wanted to use applique liquid and didn't know how it was done! Beautiful little card full of love!

Amy C said...

Gorgeous tag!! I love all the little accents you added....great tutorial, too. Thanks for joining us at Caardvarks!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is an absolutely gorgeous tag! I love the step-by-step tutorial pics! :)

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness, how fabulous is this tag?! Thanks for the step by step how-tos. Loving that snow and your gorgeous coloring!
blessings!